Pages

Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Less than two weeks!!!!

After a year of planning, and thinking about the Camino every day, Jeanie and I will be in Spain in less than two weeks. I am both nervous and excited. Insert worried Mom-face emoji here:

This. Our kids know it well.
While I don't want to wish away time, I feel I'm ready to get on the Way and just walk. Of course after our first day I may be singing a different tune, but for now I'm ready. Except to pack, although you can believe I have lists.

We have all our accommodations, since the one stipulation that Jeanie had was NOT sharing a room and bathroom with 50 strangers, so instead of the traditional pilgrim albergues, we'll be staying in pensions and small inns in the villages. People say not to plan ahead, but as we'll be on the busiest portion of the Way, I needed to alleviate some of the stress for me - especially if we're slow and won't be the first people into the towns to grab a bed. I wanted to be sure we wouldn't be sleeping on the streets.

In order to receive your Compostela, which is basically a certificate of completion, the Church requires that you walk the last 100 km. The town where we are starting, Sarria, is about 120 km from Santiago, and is the nearest to fulfilling the distance requirements. So here is our itinerary, complete with distances. I'm pretty sure they're from the edge of one town to the edge of the next, and don't take into account the elevation changes, so it will be interesting to see the actual distances we walk. Now I am a scientist, and while I'm pretty accurate on the little measurements, like milliliters and millimeters, for the long distances, well, I'm an American. I figured out the actual miles but they make me want to whimper so I'm just leaving them in kilometers. (Trust me, it makes sense in my head).

Monday 9/17: Leave from O'Hare about 4:40 PM, fly to Madrid
Tuesday 9/18: Arrive Madrid early AM, train to Sarria
Wednesday 9/19: Walk Sarria to Portomarin 22.7 km
Thursday 9/20: Walk Portomarin to Palas de Rei, 24.6 km
Friday 9/21: Walk Palas de Rei to Ribadiso, 26.3 km
Saturday 9/22: Walk Ribadiso to O Pedrouzo, 23.7 km
Sunday 9/23: Walk O Pedrouzo to Santiago, 20.1 km
Monday 9/24: explore Santiago
Tuesday 9/25: day trip to Muxia and Finisterre (bus or taxi)
Wednesday 9/26: train to Madrid
Thursday 9/27: fly back to Chicago
9/28: Omaha!

I'll be writing a post about the gear I'm actually taking, but for now here are a few items to help me on my journey:

Passport cover from Emily - notice the scallop shell and my initial!

Teva sandals complete with socks for when I need a break from my boots. Because it's just such a sexy look.

Fully vaccinated: Hepatitis A and B, and MMR booster

Pilgrims carry this credencial, getting stamps at all the places they eat, visit, or stay as a record of proof that you've been there, and that you've walked the required number of miles

The insides of our credencials. I will admit that I got a bit teary when they arrived!
Total change of subject, and again this is courtesy of Emily. Monistat, it's not just for your lady bits any more.  I put it on my feet before putting my socks on

A gift from Jeanie. They might not be hiking socks, but I love them nonetheless

They look like toe condoms, don't they? My second toes are longer than my big toes, so those guys take a beating. I'd been taping them until I ordered these silicone toe sleeves. Pretty much awesome.

Buen Camino!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment