Pages

Sunday, January 26, 2014

So THAT'S why

As I was doing my 6 miles outside yesterday with the first two miles having frozen snotsicles and the last four a continuously running nose, I thought to myself how much easier it is to prepare for a fall race than a spring one. And someone at Runner's World apparently shares my views:


This totally is true, as I registered for the Lincoln Half at 1:30 a.m. on January 1. I bet I was not the only one who was less than sober when registering!

Oh well, week three is in the record books. Something interesting I'm learning about my body is how energized and great I feel after a shorter run (3 or 4 miles), but how kinda crappy I feel after the longer ones. I need to do some reading and figure that out. Anyone know enough physiology to help me out here?

Okay, onto some food!

We went to Lalibela on Friday night, our favorite Ethiopian restaurant here in town. And we are now considered regulars! Our waitress asked if we wanted the combo platter, because the cook had started to prepare it as soon as she saw us walk in. And she came out and greeted us. We're not sure if she's the owner also, but she prepares all the food and it is so good!

This is HUGE - plenty for both of us

And then last night we were invited to some friends new house for dinner. They are avid antique collectors, and the table looked incredible.


I wish I would have taken pictures of some of the items in the house. Trudy has a yarn cabinet that I am  almost literally drooling over. My yarn is stuffed in baskets and Rubbermaid tubs, but hers is in an old-fashioned cabinet from the yarn section of a general store. OMG. And she only knits scarves!!! Not that there's anything wrong with that.... While we're on the subject of knitting, guess what I taught myself to make this winter?!

There were a lot of ends to weave in here!


All are big enough to hold a bottle of wine - although Brody might need a few years before he tests this

Okay, enough patting myself on the back! Back to food. Some breakfasts:



Lunch pictures are non-existent because they are still the worst meals for me to plan. One blog that I started reading, 100 Days of Real Food, has photos of her kids' lunches every day, so I may be inspired to start packing one for me, even though I usually eat at home.

Snack pictures - also non-existent. My afternoon snacks consist of a package of Skinny Pop popcorn. Tastes great and 100 calories - what's not to love?

Went to Costco: shredded chicken, roasted peppers and potatoes, sauteed asparagus

Steaks, more sauteed asparagus, red cabbage

Sausage soup

This sausage soup is so good that you need the recipe. It's from my friend Nancy, and I've made it twice this winter. I know I used more veggies than the recipe calls for. Here ya go:

SAUSAGE SOUP
1 1/2 lb sweet Italian sausage (could use chicken Italian, but I didn't)
1/2 cup chopped onion (I chopped up one small onion)
1/2 cup chopped celery
2 T chopped parsley
8 cups chicken broth
1 bay leaf
3/4 cup sliced carrots
1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper (I chopped up a whole one)
2 cups crushed canned tomatoes and juice (1 16 oz can)
1 (16 oz) can Great Northern beans, drained
1 (16 oz) can kidney beans 
1/2-3/4 tsp dried basil
1/2 cup orzo OR 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
salt and pepper

Cook sausage, drain. When the sausage is about half done, I throw in the onions, celery, and carrots to let them cook a bit. When the sausage is done, add all the other ingredients except the beans and orzo (or quinoa). Cook covered for 15 minutes. Stir in orzo (quinoa), salt and pepper. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Add beans. [I found the orzo gets a little mushy the next day, so I like the quinoa, but personal preference. If you like mushy orzo, I won't judge.]

Serves 6 - HUGE SERVINGS! I figured out the calorie count: for 1/6 of the recipe, it is 484. For a more modest 1 cup serving, it is 242. 

It is really, really cold here, but unlike most of our out-of-town family, we have no snow. Knocking on wood as I type this. 


Because if you are, there is one cure for breakfast:


Enjoy! Stay warm, and talk to you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment