Pages

Monday, March 4, 2013

Life is weird

Tomorrow is my last day at the Joslyn, which in itself is bittersweet. Jane, whose Alex played club soccer with OUR Alex (and I feel like I've known forever), is the shop director, and in January of 2006 took a chance on this middle-aged housewife and hired me to work in the shop. Who knew that after getting my BS in medical technology, raising our three kids, and too-numerous-to-count volunteer positions, I would find my calling in retail. Life is weird. 

But to celebrate, Jane and Katherine took me to lunch at an Omaha institution (featured on Diners, Drive-Inns, and Dives) - California Tacos. Or if you're from here, Cali Tacos.


I've been wanting to eat there forever, but as it is out of my usual sphere of travel (i.e., it's east of 72nd Street), and in a somewhat sketchy neighborhood, I have just never made it.  I really meant to take a picture of all the food, but forgot until it was all gone:


Jane had told me that one taco would be enough, and she was so right. But we had rice and bean dip, just to get the whole experience. It was all delicious, and the taco was seriously the best I have ever eaten.

And then my friends gave me some treats:

Do they know me or what?! Jane wonders if my new boss will buy me Peeps?!

Some healthy breakfasts, to balance out Cali Tacos:

Oatmeal with blueberries, brown sugar, and almond-coconut milk

PB toast with bananas, 1/2 cup Trop 50, 1/2 cup diet cranberry juice

PB toast, mixed berries, and the OJ/cran juice again

A way-healthier lunch:

Romaine with fake krab, cherry tomatoes, and an English muffin

And a pretty good dinner:

Cooking Light's pesto and goat cheese pizza

We're having knitting here tomorrow, and in addition to a few snacks, I made some bars that Aly told me about. She said they were kind of like my caramelodie recipe, only better. She said they were so good that she had to wake up Alex (he's on a night rotation) to try one. He just said, "Oh sweet Jesus." I think that's the new name of the bars: Aly's Oh Sweet Jesus Caramelodies. How can anyone not love salted caramel and chocolate? I'll let you know if my knitting friends have the same reaction.

And just to leave you laughing, here's a headline from our paper the other day:


Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment