Pages

Thursday, April 17, 2014

three thanks, april 17 2014


I am linking up with Emily at The Swallow Flies and Aly at Here Comes Happiness! for their weekly blog party: Three Thanks.



Without further adieu, here are my three thanks today:

ONE.  I am thankful for FaceTime. Because this:



I really didn't like FaceTime prior to last December 16. I mean, who wants to look at someone when you're talking to them on the phone? It's awkward, and have you ever seen yourself in the top right-hand screen?! When I'm on the phone, I'm usually cooking, cleaning, or just sitting on the patio with a glass of wine, and I don't want to have to hold the phone out in front of me at that perfect angle so I don't look like I have a double chin. And I don't want to be judged if I'm in still in my nightie at 10 a.m.  Or 2:30 p.m.

But then Brody was born, and FaceTime is the greatest invention ever!!! We talk to this little guy at least once a week. We get to see him, and he us. The changes in the past four months have been incredible, and being that they're 700 miles away, it's pretty cool to get to see him as he grows up.


TWO.  I am thankful for knitting.

Dishtowel made by my knitting guru, when we used to meet on Tuesdays. It's Wednesdays now. New towel needed?!


My knitting group grew out of a group of golfing girlfriends who wanted an excuse to get together during the off-season and drink wine. Several of them knew how to knit, but some of us didn't. I learned though.

Yep. I can knit baby hats!

I hate to sit and watch TV or a movie without doing something (don't want it to feel like a total waste of time), so when my hands are busy with needles I feel useful. It amazes me how basically tying knots in a length of yarn can make fabric. And some of that yarn - omg it feels so good! I have knit with cashmere, bamboo, silk, yarn made with seaweed, merino wool, angora...  Sometimes I go to our local yarn shop, Personal Threads, and just wander around and touch the yarn.

[Several years ago I told Alex that I was knitting him a winter scarf, and when he said he really didn't need one, I pulled out the "Jesus wore clothes that his mom knit." I was raised Catholic - I know how the guilt works! The one I made was a beautiful grey reversible cable knit out of a cashmere-silk blend that was positively yummy.]

THREE. I am thankful for my job. I really really really like what I do, but I am very thankful to work for such an amazing company. I know Hot Mama is a retail store, but it is so much more than that. It was started by Megan Tamte, who was so excited to shop for new clothes after the birth of her first child, and ended up being totally frustrated because none of the clerks understood the needs of new moms. She couldn't push her stroller around the store, she had a limited amount of time, and no one was listening to what she really wanted. So she created the store that had all that!

 Omaha Hot Mama at Regency

The company believes that making moms look and feel beautiful empowers them to be their best for their families and their communities. It reminds me of a quote from the book Three Cups of Tea by the (now discredited) Greg Mortenson. He was talking about the Middle East, and he said that if you really want to change a culture to empower women, you start with educating girls. Okay, now that I see that in print I don't know why the two are related, except that I feel that the mom who feels good about herself is the mom who has the power to change the world. And I am stealing directly from the Hot Mama manifesto, which is printed on the back of every tag in the store.




If you've ever shopped at a Hot Mama, you know what I'm talking about. If you haven't - run to your nearest boutique or shop online at shopmama.com. The stylists will take time to get to know you, what clothes you feel comfortable in, and will be honest about how something looks. They will build a relationship with you. And for me, those girls get me out of my comfort zone by having me try on fun new jewelry or - gasp - skinny jeans. And I tell you, I love my AG Primas! 

So that's it for today, but I can't close without saying Happy Birthday to Aly, my favorite daughter-in-law! I'm so happy you were born!!


post signature

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Love the post as well. What a great company, adorable baby, and cute daughter-in-law. p.s. you even told facetime you were thankful for it and it still didn't work! Not cool, facetime. Not cool.

      Delete
    2. I wrote this before FaceTime decided I was getting a little too comfortable with technology.

      Delete