Monday, May 5, 2014

oh god, she's going to tell us about her race...

So. Half-marathon #3 is in the record book. It was slow (although a PR) and ugly, kinda like this:

The weekend started with us driving down to Lincoln to pick up our packets and check out the expo. Emily treated us to some entertainment along the way. I can't even remember which song she was acting out, but Erin and I were cracking up.

One thing is for sure, road trips with my girls are never dull - even if it's only an hour. Doesn't matter if it's 10 hours to Michigan or an hour down the road; still fun!

After the expo, where Emmy bought a shirt, Erin some shoe charms (thank you, Honey), and me a foam roller, we headed to the Haymarket area and had some lunch at Old Chicago:

chicken pesto panini (ate half) and veggies with dip

my two favorite daughters

We drove back to Omaha and had (what else) pasta for dinner, then all went to bed really early. I'm pretty sure Dwight loved having the quiet house to himself after 9 pm!

The 4am wake-up call came pretty early, but I wanted to make sure I had breakfast and then (TMI alert!) had time to poop before the race. If you run or bike long distances, you know what I'm talking about!

breakfast of champions finishers: pbj toast, banana, OJ, coffee

I need to say a HUGE thank-you to Dwight (who has never read my blog ever) but who got up early and drove us down to Lincoln at 5 am. We got there at 6:00 for a 7:00 gun time, which was more than enough time to allow us to stand in the bathroom line several times - and even used the porta-potties while waiting for our corral to go. Emmy stared earlier than us, but Erin and I didn't cross the start line for 49 minutes after the first wave went, so there was plenty of time to get nervous.

staying warm inside the fieldhouse while waiting to go line up. photo courtesy of Emmy

We knew we'd have some fans along the way, and we knew about where they'd be. The first sighting was at about 5 miles. I am stealing all of Aly's photos since I was working way too hard to take any of my own. She actually wrote about the race on her blog, Here Comes Happiness, so if you want to read about it from a spectator's viewpoint - and see some of the same photos! - head on over there.

my three favorite guys! Brody is hiding

feeling pretty good here!

The second time was just past 10 miles, when we had less than a 5K left:

a little more tired here, but guess who I saw?!

seriously - how cute is this little guy? and Aly too?!

cute enough to make me stop and say hi!

The last time I saw them was right outside Memorial Stadium when I had less than half a mile to go, and I'm pretty sure I just whimpered, "I hurt." But then I turned into the stadium, and as is every Nebraskan's dream, sprinted (for me) to the 50-yard line while on Husker Vision to get my medal. 

Afterwards we all piled into Aly's and Alex's SUV and went to Aly's house where her parents made us the best brunch: bagels, smoked salmon, fruit, veggies, hummus, egg salad, tuna salad, and for dessert, little caramel rolls. So good!!! Thank you Lucy and Kirk! (Oh, and the shower felt amazing!)

And now I am announcing my retirement from distance running because ow.


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment