Pages

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Leftover cheesecake is evil and it knows my name

I have not been nearly as consistent about blogging as I'd like to be, but as this is ostensibly a "healthy living blog" and I have been eating like a fat kid lately, I feel like too much of an imposter to write anything. Take, for example, the white chocolate cheesecake left over from our dinner party last weekend. Every time I walked by the fridge, it whispered my name. And then when I successfully ignored it the first few times, it started yelling at me. You know how this ended up. It was delicious. And here is the recipe in case you want to be tempted too. I got it several years ago from the flyer that Baker's supermarket sends out occasionally; it is "courtesy of our Chef Ann."

White Chocolate Cheesecake
Serves 16

Crust:
1 (13-oz) pkg chocolate chip cookies - I use Chips Ahoy
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup sugar

Filling:
4 (8-oz) pkg cream cheese, softened
1 1/3 cups sugar
4 eggs
3 oz white chocolate, grated
1 tsp vanilla extract

Topping:
1 1/2 cups sour cream
1/4 cup sugar
1 oz white chocolate, grated
1 tsp almond extract

Preheat oven to 350.

Place cookies in food processor and process to crumbs. Combine crumbs, butter, and 1/4 cup sugar in a bowl; mix well. Press onto the bottom and sides of a 10-inch springform pan; set aside.

Beat cream cheese in a large mixing bowl until soft and creamy. Gradually add 1 1/3 cups sugar, beating until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in 3 oz. white chocolate and vanilla.

Pour mixture into crust; bake at 350 degrees for 55 minutes or until cheesecake is set. (I usually have to go an hour.) Remove from oven. (Turn oven temp up to 400 degrees.) Let stand for 10 minutes.

Combine sour cream, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 oz white chocolate, and almond extract in a bowl; mix well. Spread evenly over the top of the cheesecake. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes or until bubbly. Remove from oven. Cool completely; chill at least 8 hours. Remove from pan before serving. Refrigerate any leftovers.

We are anticipating Snowmageddon here in Omaha. School was cancelled for today, although we only have a dusting as of 2:00 p.m. It is supposed to ratchet up in intensity, dumping 7-10 inches before it is all over tomorrow around noon. When I went to pick up a few groceries yesterday, they were totally out of eggs and pickings were pretty slim in the bread section. To pay us back for the nice winter we've had so far, it is also supposed to storm Sunday into Monday. At least it's the end of February and won't stick around for long. Hard to believe it was in the mid-50's last Sunday.

So how did I prepare for the storm this morning? Well, I went to Target in search of the perfect color bedskirt for our new bedroom, which is the topic for another post. I have the duvet and shams, and picked out what I thought was the right color at Bed Bath and Beyond (or Bad Breath and Beyond as Aly's dad calls it.) Even though it matched the shams in the store, and looked okay when I got home when our walls were rag-rolled deep blue, when I pulled it out today to iron it, I gave a little involuntary shriek. It was so not the right color!!!!! I just bought the two colors of gray bedskirts they had at Target and one of them worked. I have a few returns to make next week. (It was pretty funny in the store, though, as everyone has their carts heaped with food and I'm buying two bedskirts).

Dwight is up painting our ceiling now, so I'm going to pour myself some coffee and watch him work.

Stay warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment