Pages

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

How am I doing?

Okay, it's been more than a week after I vowed to start blogging at least a couple times a week. How's that working for me? Oops. And how about getting on my bike at least once a week? Okay - did that. As far as the drinking more water and starting half-marathon training: done and done. And better nutrition? Pretty good, except when I wasn't. Seriously, we went to a wedding last weekend with an open bar and wedding cake. Mmmmm... delicious. But to help metabolize all that, Dwight and I went 4.4 miles around the big lake at Zorinsky the next day. With a bit of a hangover. Go us!

To help with increasing my water intake, I pulled out the infusion pitcher I got a few years ago and had kinda forgotten about. In the insert in this photo is watermelon, mint, and cucumbers. Right now in the pitcher I have just plain lime wedges.


I know my breakfasts are boring:

Oatmeal with blueberries, 1.5 tsp brown sugar, skim milk
Smoothie with skim milk, greek yogurt, chocolate protein powder, and a banana

Scrambled eggs with hot Italian turkey sausage and peppers, berries, skim milk, coffee

Self-explanatory

Protein waffle, blueberries, bananas, and coffee

I discovered that I need to correct my protein pancake/waffle recipe after Emily was having to add some almond milk to make hers thin enough to spread. It turns out I had forgotten to mention the egg whites in a previous post. That'll do it! So the official recipe, courtesy of MaryLu, is 3 egg whites, 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, and 1/2 tsp almond extract. Whirl it all up in a Magic Bullet, and make pancakes of a waffle. One recipe perfectly fits my Belgian waffle machine. This recipe has 278 calories, with 4 g fat, 32 g of carbs, 4 g of fiber, and a whopping 31 g of protein.

Some lunches:

PBJ, cherries, and summer salad

Avocado toast with chimichurri spread, and strawberries

Deli ham slices, avocado toast, carrots, and hummus

Cottage cheese, tuna, and capers

Asian chicken salad from Paradise Bakery & Cafe. There is one at Regency, just down the hall from work. I get a half-salad, with a half scoop of dressing. 300 calories of pure deliciousness.

Snacks:

Before a run - 3 of these bloks. 100 calories of energy.
Now don't laugh at this:


Or this:


Sometimes I just want something sweet, and instead of candy or cookies, which wouldn't stand a chance in this house, I thought cereal from my childhood might suffice. And it works! Just grab a handful of this stuff and you will satisfy that sweet tooth. There is the added benefit of (some) fiber and vitamins. We also have Lucky Charms and Golden Grahams. And yes, we're in our late 50's.

And now some dinners:


Huevos rancheros courtesy of Emily's blog, and - because we live in Nebraska  - corn. I swear I could make a meal out of just corn-on-the-cob.

Rotisserie chicken, summer salad, roasted peppers

Salmon topped with capers, chives, lemon zest, and Thai sweet chili sauce then baked,  served with brown rice and green beans

Time to go rustle up some lunch and then go to work. TTFN!

No comments:

Post a Comment