Pages

Friday, July 12, 2013

I think I have a tapeworm

Seriously - I am so hungry all the time lately! Like yesterday, my stomach was growling out loud at 10 a.m. And after this breakfast:


What is going on? Could it be that I am eating just too much junk lately? Probably.

Our friend Dave was in town yesterday and we went to one of our favorite local restaurants, Jam's, with several other friends. One of our friends who is back on the market after a few years of being in a relationship had recently lost some weight (because, as he told the guys, "You know who you're getting undressed in front of at night; I don't!")  I asked him how he did it, and he said he basically doesn't eat bread. Hmmmm.... I DO eat bread. I love carbs. Maybe if I cut out a bit of the carbs and fill up on protein, veggies, fruit, and good fat instead... This was today's breakfast: an omelette of 1 egg, 2 egg whites, and 1/2 an avocado, with fruit:


A few days ago I felt like I needed to get in a few more veggies, so it was the Green Monster to the rescue. Just check out all the spinach! There is a banana in there, a scoop of protein powder, a cup of skim milk, and about 1/2 cup Greek yogurt.



I have been in love with Paradise Cafe's Asian Chicken Salad, and after watching them make it so many times, I thought I'd give it a try at home:


I think it really looks like the restaurant's salad, and better yet, it tastes like it! And even better, it's super easy. I chopped up some napa cabbage, mixed it with Paul Newman's sesame ginger dressing (seriously delicious), topped with edamame, shredded chicken, and some chow mein noodles. I know I could leave off the noodles, but I like the crunch.

Another good meal/snack is some black bean/corn salsa (again with the corn - Nebraska you know) mixed with chopped avocado. Yum.


We call this Bev's salsa because I got the recipe from my friend Bev. Give me a recipe, and it's named after you: Troy's dip, Aly's Oh Sweet Jesus Bars, you get the idea.  You can really use anything you want for the salsa, but I used 2 cans of corn, 1 can of black beans, 1 can of Rotel's, some chopped scallions, diced pickled jalapenos, cumin, and cilantro. It's good with Doritos (what isn't?!), on baked potatoes, scrambled in eggs, or straight out of the tupperware - you name it, it works.

Erin's bachelorette party is tomorrow and she is so looking forward to it except she's already dreading how she'll feel on Sunday. The mom in me wants to say, "Now you know you don't need alcohol to have a good time," but hey, it's her bachelorette party, and yes you do! Emily has been working on the menu for the cocktail party at her house while I'm doing the decorations, and then we're all headed to downtown Des Moines for a night of fun. There will be photos. In the meantime,



[If you follow this on Facebook - hi kids! - I did create a page for Showing Up. If you go to the Showing Up page and hit the "like" button, it will show up in your news feed when I update. Please. Validate me! Because I'm that needy and insecure.]

No comments:

Post a Comment