Pages

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Another year

I love the feeling of fresh starts and do-overs that comes with throwing away the old calendar and opening the page to a brand new January. Although I have to say, 2012 was a pretty wonderful year. I trained for and completed my first half marathon, Alex and Aly got married, Erin and Tim got engaged, and Tony moved from LA to Des Moines to be with Emily. Right now, at this point in time, all of our children are at such good points in their personal lives and careers, and that puts my heart at ease. You know that old saying, "You're only as happy as your saddest child"? SO TRUE. Any parent out there will agree. And I continue to marvel at the fact that my husband of over 31 years - and best friend of almost 36 - is still the person I most want to be with in the whole world. And more remarkable - he wants to be with me!

We celebrated New Year's Eve as we do every year, with our next-door-neighbors. We should have been taking pictures to see the changes over the years - weight, hair styles, hair colors, fashions. But the one constant? Best neighbors and friends ever!!! As Amy said, we're the family we chose. The night began with Dennis's new beer find:

Because we're that mature
After dinner, we had games and movies planned, but we ended up sitting in the front room (which Amy designed for us - stay tuned for a future post on that subject) and just talking. The topics were all over the board, but the highlight came when, during a discussion of whether we wanted to be buried or cremated (cremated) - I warned you we talked about everything - Dwight made the comment about the cottage industry that will take your ashes and turn them into a diamond. Amy was all over that!!!! Shiny things! Instead of proposing with Grandma's diamond, you could propose with Grandma! It was way funnier last night, but that could have been the booze. As intriguing as Dennis's IPA was, I was drinking pomegranate martinis (vodka, triple sec, and pomegranate juice). But just to be on the safe side, I took Advil before bed so I feel not too awful this morning. Although a nap is definitely in my future.

We went and saw Les Miz on Sunday. I think the studio assumed everyone had some familiarity with the story because nothing was explained. Neither Dwight nor I had ever seen the play and really didn't know anything about the story. I like to think we're pretty smart people, but we were just confused. So many questions! *spoiler alert* Why was Fantine fired? Why did Russell Crowe commit suicide? Why did Hugh Jackman die? Seriously, I went to Wikipedia when we got home to read the synopsis of the book - and thank you Wikipedia, I now know the answers to those questions. So here's my review of the movie: Lots of songs you don't know, Susan Boyle's song, more singing you don't know, then everybody dies.

I just finished reading We Band of Angels, a non-fiction book about the Army and Navy nurses trapped on Bataan and Corregidor and imprisoned by the Japanese. It was recommended after I mentioned that I had read The Pacific, and found it fascinating as I knew very little about the Pacific theater during WWII. It gave me a new appreciation for women in the military. After reading about the starvation diet that was imposed on them in POW camp, it was difficult to open my pantry and fridge and see all the food. (And then I ate another Christmas cookie).

After that book, I needed something lighter, so yesterday I started The Night Circus. (Thank you, Aly!) I'm just a few chapters in, but I can't wait to continue - stay tuned for my review.

Okay, I've been writing this blog for a year now, and one of my resolutions is to be better at posting, as I was in the first part of last year. I started it to keep me accountable for the choices I made so I could be cute at the wedding last August. And that's why I'm continuing it - to be cute at the wedding this coming August. Our children are helping to keep me on the health and fitness bandwagon! But seriously, when I photograph everything I eat, it forces me to be honest with myself. So get ready for lots of pictures like this:

Today's breakfast: PB bagel thin, 2 clementines, skim milk, coffee

And now, it's time to hit the treadmill. Happy New Year to all!

Hello old friends. Where have you been? In my closet all this time?

No comments:

Post a Comment