Pages

Monday, January 7, 2013

The North Dakota waddle

You know what it is. You encounter a slippery patch of snow or ice, your arms go out at waist height to try to balance, you tighten your buns and your quads, and you take little teeny Chinese-lady-with-bound-feet steps. Kind of like a Wallenda, only far less graceful. And you fall more. (Note: I am totally qualified to talk about this, because except for a brief 19 months in northeast Ohio, I have spent all my life in North or South Dakota, Minnesota, and Nebraska. We coined the phrase when in college at UND.)

So even though the last few days have been really nice, and I've been running walking outside, the patches of ice and snow at the end of driveways and street corners definitely affect my pace. But it is so nice to be outside! I did two miles yesterday and three today. The next two days are supposed to be warm (40's), and then it's supposed to RAIN on Thursday. That should take care of any pesky remaining ice.

I tried a new recipe last night, Shrimp and Asparagus Risotto from Iowa Girl Eats. It was pretty fabulous. And look how pretty it looks paired with a nice salad. The recipe serves two, and it was seriously filling.


A few lunches:

Rotisserie chicken sandwich, seaweed salad, and chocolate milk

More rotisserie chicken on a salad topped with Trader Joe's cilantro dressing. And check out my reading material!

Breakfast this morning was a sweet breakfast scramble from Carrots-n-Cake. I've made it before, and since I had a can of pumpkin sitting in my pantry just asking to be used, I made it again. Because of the egg and two egg whites in there, the protein kept me full all  morning.


Dwight has a meeting tonight, and I was planning on roasting some Brussels sprouts for dinner, but I was just so hungry after working out that I made this: Campbells crab and corn chowder, a grilled cheese, and carrots. It's a good thing I don't live alone, or more of my dinners would look like this.


Emily and I were talking yesterday, and while in our heads we thought that Erin and Tim's wedding was eight months off (August is the eighth month, right?), it's ONLY SEVEN!!! While there is still plenty of time, today has been Wedding Day for me - reserving chairs for the lakeside service (oh yeah - I went and sat in all of them), calling limo companies, and working on the guest list and budget. I know everyone out there who has thrown a wedding is going "Budget?! HAHAHA!!!" 

Time for a glass of wine and the BCS championship game. Tomorrow it's work and then the Creighton game with Debbie and Steve, preceded with dinner at Flemings, where they have 5 for 6 till 7: 5 appetizers, 5 cocktails, 5 entrees, each for $6, till 7:00. I can already hear the Kobe burger calling my name...

TTFN!

No comments:

Post a Comment