Pages

Thursday, January 31, 2013

The blahs

I think I am having a post-nice-weather-weekend-and-job-offer slump. Add to the fact that we got some snow yesterday and some cold today, and all I want to do is sleep.

To catch up:  I got my five-miler outside last Saturday, and it felt pretty good. When I was done. I'm not gonna lie - the second half was kinda difficult. My friend Kathy, who had her own issues on her run in Portland, said it must be due to unprecedented hyper-gravity conditions. Yeah, that's the ticket.

It was still nice on Monday, albeit a bit foggy:


It was so quiet and still. I half expected Jack the Ripper to step out from behind a street light. And I didn't dare run in the street because I was afraid any cars wouldn't see me. Although since I only saw two cars in motion on my entire two-mile run, I shouldn't have been concerned.

I wish I could fill you in on more of the fitness front, but the only other exercise I did was 45 minutes of snow shoveling yesterday. Let me tell you - THAT is a core workout. The windchill is -11 today, but as the temp is supposed to be in the 40's this weekend, I'm not too worried about the snow lasting. I do need some motivation, though...

We tried a new-to-us restaurant last weekend. I had a Groupon to Tanduri Fusion in west Omaha, so we invited some friends and headed out. It was so good. We liked it even better than our until-that-point favorite Indian restaurant in town. I was mentioning this to Alex, and he immediately asked how the mulligatawny was. That is his yardstick for measuring Indian restaurants. The soup was fabulous, papadum and cilantro chutney arrived shortly after we sat down (the Indian restaurant answer to chips and salsa, I guess.) That was a first; usually you have to order it. I'm glad we had reservations, because at 7:00, there were several people waiting (and giving us dirty looks as we walked directly to our booth.) Despite being busy, we were able to converse with no difficulty. That may have been because we were in a booth instead of a table, though. Everyone had a different dish - two lamb, one chicken, and one shrimp - and everyone thought they had ordered the best meal. I wish I would have remembered to take photos, but here is a shot of my leftover thimpu chicken the next day. It was  perfect with some celery and carrot sticks, hummus, and crackers.


I should have planned last week's menu better, as we ended up having Indian food two nights in a row. Friday night, I made Cooking Light's Chicken Biryani, and served it with the cucumber-tomato-yogurt salad that was suggested in the recipe. I've made this before, and loved it every time. It is also very good reheated, evidenced by my having it for lunch two times.


Other dinners:

Garlicky baked shrimp, roasted Brussels sprouts, ciabatta roll, and salad

Seasoned chicken breast, roasted mini-peppers, roasted sweet potato slices. Wow - a monochromatic meal.
A lunch:

Leftover Santa Fe soup, carrot and celery sticks
A snack:

Sliced banana with Justin's chocolate PB. OMG. So good.
And some breakfasts:

Boring.
Boring.
Somewhat less boring. Goat cheese - avocado 2-egg omelet. I got distracted (squirrel!) and it cooked a tad too long. Check out the perfectly pyramidal sea salt crystal on the upper left of the omelet!
And that's about it. I'm planning on spending the afternoon doing laundry, reading, and taking a nap. 
Blah.

No comments:

Post a Comment